This lesson offers a novel way for students to learn about notable historic and contemporary who live in countries other than their own. It links the disciplines of social science and art in a research-based activity which has the protential of becoming a class web site or school display. With modification, it is appropriate for classes at any educational level. It also illustrates a process in which instutions such as museums and schools can work together to enhance public awareness of our globes extradinary women.
- about contemporary or historic woman from countries other than their own.
- to research and write a biography by following a defined format.
- to write biographies geared to a general audience.
- to illustrate biographies.
- ways to arrange materials for a public display.
- uses a multiplier technique to disseminate knowledge.
- creates collaboration between art and social science classes.
- uses student created materials as basis for public display.
- 1) Students research the life of a woman who does NOT live in their own country. She may be either an historic or contemporary figure, either selected from a list provided by the teacher or one they find on their own.
- 2) Students create a biography which adheres to the criteria outlined on the following BIOGRAPHY CRITERIA SHEET.
- 3) Remind students that their biographies should be easy to read by a general audience.
- 4) After completing the biographies, students work is given to an art class for illustration.
- 5) Art students select one or more biography to illustrate. They use the criteria found on the ILLUSTRATION CRITERIA SHEET.
- 6) The art work then accompanies the biography in a display which can appear on a teacher or student created web site, or on classroom or school displays.
To make this project more appropriate for display, after their research students might write a two sentence Overview Description of the woman, create a short Time Line, and provide a Quote. The art work accompanying the biographic information remains the same. Click to see an example!